Lemon-y Leek Pesto
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 garlic cloves
4 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed well - still damp (loosely packed)
1 3/4 cups sliced leeks, cleaned (about 2 small leeks)
1 cup raw walnuts
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 jalapeno, de-seeded (opt'l)
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 leek, cleaned and sliced into rounds
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp fresh black pepper
1. Start making your pesto. Clean and prep all your leeks - make sure to rinse and grit inside the folds. Add all your ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. The excess water from the rinsed basil leaves should keep the pesto 'loose' enough - but add ore liquid if the consistency is too thick. The ideal consistency is like a wet, chunky hummus
2. When your pesto is ready, you can start boiling your pasta. Boil. Drain.
3. Toss the warm pasta in the pesto sauce. Cover and set aside.
4. Next up is a quick saute of the garnish - peas and leeks. Clean and slice your leeks. Turn heat to medium-high and add olive oil to your saute pan. When oil is hot add in the peas and leeks. Saute until the leeks become tender and frozen peas are heated through. Reduce heat to medium and add in the pepper and lemon juice. Toss for a few more minutes and remove from heat.
The Veggie Garnish.
5. Plate your pasta and add the peas and leeks around the pasta. Serve! You can also make this dish ahead of time - chill in the fridge and reheat in the oven.
Current Mood: chipper